Barney Frank announced that he would retire from the Congress at the conclusion of his term in 2013. He was know for working hard to get online poker for US players, introducing and sponsoring several bills. Born and raised in New Jersey, Frank was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from Massachusetts’s 4th district in 1980
His last reelection was a hotly contested race, and Frank won with a 54%-43% finish. Barney Franks district was rezoned this year, dramatically changing his constituents. Earlier this year Frank had made some remarks implying he would run for reelection, but said the rezoning was a factor in his new decision.
“I’d been ambivalent about running, not because I don’t think that the job is important but there are other things I would like to do in my life before my career is over,” Frank said Monday afternoon in Newton, Massachusetts at a press conference.
Barney Frank claims to have never played a slot machine, played poker or gambled ever. He has been quoted as saying he wouldn’t make a bet with your money. But yet his commitment to fair play, and the rights of the citizens has made him a champion among US poker players.
In 2006 Barney Frank, and several other House members, strongly opposed H.R. 4777, the Internet Gambling Prohibition and Enforcement Act, and H.R. 4411, the Goodlatte-Leach Internet Gambling Prohibition Act. He and his like minded pears where unable to stop the bill.
In 2007 Frank sponsored H.R. 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act. This bill set up a framework for licensing. It was a robust piece of legislation, with compulsive gambling protections and age verification.
In 2008 Barney Frank and Ron Paul introduced H.R. 5767, the Payment Systems Protection Act. This bill sought to place a moratorium on enforcement of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006.
With a long record of support for poker players, it is a sad day he will not be running for reelection. We here at Onlinepokersitereview.com wish him well in whatever life brings him next. We also hope the new member will also side with the poker players and common sense.
Last 10 posts in Poker News
- €650,000 Premium Chase at bet365 - January 16th, 2014
- Carbon Online Poker Series November 2013 - October 28th, 2013
- CarbonPoker: Increased Guarantees ALL Week! - May 17th, 2013
- Carbon Poker $50,000 Equalizer - May 1st, 2013
- Carbon Poker Turbo OPS Tournament Series - March 27th, 2013
- UIGEA overview at RealMoneyOnlinePoker.org - March 25th, 2013
- WSOP Champ Greg Raymer Arrested for Prostitution - March 15th, 2013
- Full Tilt Poker Reopens November 6th - October 19th, 2012
- Bovada 3D(ay) Weekend - October 13th, 2012
- Full Tilt Poker CEO Ray Bitar Surrenders to U.S. Authorities - July 2nd, 2012